To celebrate cultural diversity, Ridgewater College students and staff will participate in several awareness activities during its annual Multicultural Month in February. Several are open to the public.
Activities kick off in both Hutchinson and Willmar with interactive Global Feasts on Wednesday, February 6 and Thursday, February 7, respectively, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. These unique events aim to change people’s perspectives on how various populations of the world eat.
The next three weeks of activities are unique to each community.
Willmar Campus events include the following which are open to the public:
- Thursday, February 14, 11:00-11:50 a.m. in the theatre: Explore the hardships of people from East Africa after their move to Minnesota through this presentation called, “My Somalia, A Review of What was Left Behind.”
- Thursday, February 21, 11:00 a.m., Noon, and 1:00 p.m. in the Conference Center: Watch the 45-minute film, “Minnesota Nice,” that captures real stories from real Minnesota students who have experienced bullying and have bravely stepped forward to share their experiences. Discussion afterwards will include guest conversations with the film’s producer, Alex Fischer.
- Thursday, February 28, 11:00-11:50 a.m. in the Cafeteria: Shannan Paul, professional speaker and comedian, will address cultural sensitivity by using personal anecdotes and real situations to teach the audience how to not “be that person” who walks blindly into an awkward situation.
- Wednesday, February 13, 11:00-11:50 a.m. in room 115: Discover the challenges that people from “the other side of the border” face in Minnesota through this presentation called, “Diversity in Rural MN: Now What Do We Do?” Open to the public.
- Wednesday, February 20, 11 a.m. in the Commons: Taste of Culture is a Multicultural Month tradition whereby students and staff go on a gastronomic, tasteful journey by tasting many dishes from many cultures.
- Wednesday, February 28, 11:00-11:50 a.m. in the Commons: Shannan Paul, professional speaker and comedian, will address cultural sensitivity by using personal anecdotes and real situations to teach the audience how to not “be that person” who walks blindly into an awkward situation. Open to the public.
For more information, contact the Ridgewater College Multicultural Affairs Director Edel Fernandez at 320-222-5986 or firstname.lastname@example.org.