Montevideo Chief of Police Adam Christopher is facing allegations of harassment, and as a result of those allegations, a Harassment Restraining Order (HRO) was granted on behalf of an 18-year-old Boyd woman.

Clarification

The American-News article about Montevideo Chief of Police Adam Christopher’s allegedly inappropriate messages to an 18 year-old Boyd woman contained an inaccuracy that was reported by all media outlets covering the story. The affidavit clearly stated that the communications be­tween Christopher and the woman were by text and Facebook messages. The Montevideo American-News was contacted by the woman, who stated that the affidavit is incorrect; the communications be­tween the two were solely by Facebook messages. There were no text messages exchanged.

 

Montevideo Chief of Police Adam Christopher is facing allegations of harassment, and as a result of those allegations, a Harassment Restraining Order (HRO) was granted on behalf of an 18-year-old Boyd woman. The HRO was granted in Chippewa County Court on Thursday, Nov. 15.

Eighth District Court Judge Randy Slieter signed off on the HRO, finding that, based on the petition’s affidavit, there was an immediate and present danger of harassment to justify temporary relief.

Earlier on Nov. 15, the woman petitioned the court for the HRO against Christopher. In her affidavit, the woman stated that Christopher was a casual acquaintance and the father of a Tae Kwon Do classmate of hers. She also stated that Christopher was a Facebook friend.

According to her affidavit, the woman stated Christopher made harassing Facebook posts to her, as well as harassing texts.

“Beginning in July ‘17, A.C. and I began casual texting and messaging, and it was fine. On Nov. 7th, 2018 the messages started becoming sexual in nature,” she stated in her affidavit.

The woman allegedly received hundreds of texts from Christopher. In her affidavit she stated: “I usually conversed with him because I didn’t know how else to respond. He stated that I am ‘tempting,’ wanted to kiss me starting with my collarbone and move down....”

The woman also stated in her affidavit that she was not aware of Christopher physically following her or stalking her, although she stated that he had messaged her “Next time I’m up there, I’ll stalk you” in reference to Alexandria, where the woman attends school.

“He always asks me where I am, or asked me to ‘come find him.’ When I refuse, he continues to ask and ask,” she stated in the affadavit.

The woman fears the harassment will continue. “I’m afraid of his position. That by not opposing him, he feels he has the right or the power to continue. I feel like he is using his power and his relationship to my family - he feels this gives him the right,” she stated in the affidavit.

In response to the HRO, Christopher requested a hearing on the matter, which was originally scheduled for yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon at the Chippewa County Courthouse in Montevideo, but was then rescheduled for yesterday at the Yellow Medicine County Courthouse. However, on Tuesday Christopher’s lawyer requested a continuance and the hearing was postponed. No date for the hearing has been set as of press time.

Media reports have stated that Christopher is currently on paid administrative leave, but according to Montevideo City Manager Steve Jones, that is incorrect.

“Adam is on sick leave. It was his decision, and I agreed that it was appropriate in this situation,” said Jones.

An outside investigation into the matter is currently being conducted by the Minnesota BCA. Jones said, “We can’t investigate ourselves. Once the BCA completes their investigation, they will give their results to us. The city will take those results into consideration, then we will look into it and present the findings to the Police Commission.

According to Jones, the Police Commission will then examine the findings and proceed with a recommendation based on those findings.

For more stories pick up this week’s paper or subscribe today!