Your daily news briefing, with a look at the top news of the past week.
News of the week
Here are the top news stories from the past week:
- "It's not something you see every day. I hope they revoke her babysitting license for that. Would you want her watching your kid?" - Daytona Beach, Fla., Police Chief Mike Chitwood, talking about a female babysitter who was arrested for having a baby (in a stroller) in the back of her pickup truck and driving around that way.
- President Barack Obama and several other leaders on Thursday called on Syrian President Bashar Assad to step down. Assad has enacted a violent crackdown on protesters in his country, and the call for his resignation came as the U.N. recommended that Syria be investigated by the International Criminal Court.
- A 24-year-old father of two saved the life of a neighborhood girl when he chased the girl’s kidnapper until the kidnapper crashed and fled the scene. The dad, Antonio Diaz Chacon, brought the girl home and called police, who captured the accused kidnapper. The events leading up to the chase were just as dramatic: If not for several unbelievable coincidences, Chacon wouldn’t have even been in the area at the time.
- "The primary complaint is that we think it violates the First Amendment for the government to require people who produce a lawful product to essentially urge prospective purchasers not to buy it." - Floyd Abrams, who is representing tobacco companies that have filed a lawsuit over the government-mandated graphic cigarette labels.
- The father of a 7-year-old boy with cerebral palsy admitted to police that he decapitated his son and put the head in the street, evidently so his wife would see it. The Thibodaux, La., man was charged with first-degree murder.
- Google and Motorola Mobility announced Monday that Google is buying the mobile-device company for $12.5 billion. Google will now have its own platform on which to use its popular Android system, and the company also said it hopes to better fend off lawsuits from Apple and other competitors with this purchase.
Video of the week
CNN’s Anderson Cooper had a giggle fit on air – it’ll make you chuckle, too. Watch below.
GateHouse News Service